Source: CBC
Frankly, the timing of this seems a little suspicious to me. I had known the National Post newspaper was in financial trouble (as is its owner, Canwest/Global), but I wasn't aware it was actually in danger of being shut down. Today, a court will rule whether C/G can move the paper into a corporate division with its other, money-making papers (yes, there still are some, like the Calgary Herald and the Montreal Gazette). Corporate bondholders are fighting this move, saying there's been enough bleeding. If the court rules in favor of the bondholders, the paper will close today.
And how (you may ask) is this a pipeline story? Because this is the very paper that quoted as-yet-unnamed sources that the Mackenzie Valley Gasline was dead in the water after Stephen Harper's cabinet refused financial support. There has been no corroboration of this story, and I now suspect it may have been a "hail mary" pass; an attempt to boost sales and relevence with a last-minute scoop.
No comments:
Post a Comment